It seems I’ve accidentally committed to sharing these, after a thoughtless remark on Twitter. I mentioned I’d just had the idea to write a blog post confessing a few guilty pleasures, and a fair few people liked the concept! It’s the type of thing that’s just begging to be made into a Meme, so I will be tagging a few others and asking them to share their guilt, too, and come and link up. So this will now be the page full of guilty pleasures! Though, Caroline over on Twitter did make a very good point when she said ‘I don’t believe pleasures should ever make you feel guilty’ – so true – if they cheer you, then so what?!
Anyway, enough procrastinating. I think we’ll make it a share of 5. Enough to have to delve a little deeply, and not so many that some tragic things are surfacing! It was interesting when I was pondering what my 5 should be, as I was attempting to ascertain whether they were ‘guilty’ or not – you can be the judges of that, I guess…
1. Cher. I just love her! Burlesque has been watched a fair few times here. It’s one of my go-to pick-me-up films. A sure sign of Cher-love, and one that I’m secretly proud of, is that when I put Boo to bed, she often asks for Just Like Jesse James as her bedtime song – no Twinkle, Twinkle here, folks! The Husband simply sighs and shakes his head…
2. PJ’s. Well, where’s the issue here, I hear you ask? I’m sure many of you wear PJ’s. But do you normally have them on by 6.30pm? I do! This is partly due to our slick bedtime routine, as we bath and put the kids to bed at this point, so rather than going up there and rustling about after they’re in bed, makes sense to do it before. Now, I do say partly, because, on reflection, I used to put my PJ’s on as soon as I got home from work, before having the children – so that’d be around 6.30-7, too! My excuse then was that I didn’t want to get dog hair on my suit – always an excuse! The truth is, I am very happy purchasing new lounge-wear, and my mum is tasked pretty much every Christmas with buying me a new dressing gown, and then the husband spends most of the following year trying to prise my old ones off me, as I try to convince him that, yes, I really do need 3 spare ones, too.
3. 80’s Movies. They just don’t make them like they used to! We do like our films here, and watch most of the latest big releases, but if given a choice, I’d want an 80’s movie. It’s impossible to pick a favourite, but if you haven’t watched, and can offer at least one quote from – Ghostbusters, The Goonies, Dirty Dancing, The Karate Kid, Indiana Jones, Gremlins, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Back to the Future, Uncle Buck and The Breakfast Club, I’m going to struggle to relate to you 😉 If I’m channel-hopping and find one, I’m so happy, despite the fact that I think we own all of these anyway! And I haven’t even mentioned the 80’s action genre – Dia Hard, Rambo, The Terminator – brilliant!
4. Ice Cream. It’s my weakness. I do like chocolate, crisps, cake and various other delicious snack offerings, but I can take or leave them. I don’t drink or smoke, so this is my vice! Ice cream is my Achilles heel. But why guilty? I consume it in fairly large portions – the entire tub of Ben & Jerry’s will be gone within 15 minutes. I’m one of those people who has never experienced ‘brain freeze’ and can bite and chomp ice cream and ice lollies, too – it’s like my body is predisposed to eating it!
5. Musicals. I don’t know whether they’re credible or not? But I need to stress here that I’m not talking about the likes of Les Miserables, though I did enjoy that. No, I’m talking Calamity Jane. And Grease, The Sound of Music, Hairspray, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, High School Musical – this last one is a huge hit with Boo, but I need to be fully upfront here and tell you that I owned this before Boo’s arrival in this world! The list could go on, but I think you’re getting the idea.
So, if I’ve had a hard day, you’ll usually find me lying on the sofa, in my PJ’s, eating ice cream and watching any of the aforementioned films 🙂
Am I all alone on all of these then? Are you even still reading?! Would love to know if any of them strike a chord with you – now be honest..!
So I will now tag 5 other bloggers, ask them if they’re brave enough to share theirs and tag a few more people, and please do come back and link up the posts here. Cannot wait to read! And you needn’t wait to be tagged – dive in if you dare! If you tweet your post, just use #GuiltyPleasures, and I’ll be sure to RT you 😉
Time Waits For No Mum
Share your worst!