When Usborne Publishing got in touch with me recently, about the launch of a new sticker dolly dressing book, I jumped at the chance to review it. We already have several of these sticker books here, as Boo will often choose them when we pop into book shops. I’m always happy for her to do so as the quality of these never disappoints me, and this new Wartime Fashion book lives up to my expectations…
Historical Sticker Dolly Dressing: Wartime fashion
– A fascinating look at the distinctive “make do and mend” fashions that developed out of necessity during the Second World War.
– Children can use the stickers to dress characters including an air raid warden, a land girl and French citizens living under German occupation.
– Each page includes informative notes, photographs and sketches explaining the clothes and adding historical context.
– With over 170 stickers of clothes to wear during an air raid, on duty or to attend a 1940s wedding.
– Includes internet links to recommended websites to find out more about life in the Second World War.
Boo was excited when this one arrived! Lately, with her new found reading talent, she’s been voraciously reading anything she can get her hands on, and so I was interested to see that she grabbed this and began to read it. Previously with her other books like this, it’s been all about flicking straight to the stickers and getting going on them, so this adds a great new dimension and means we’re getting so much more out of the book. Of course, the stickers are then the main draw…
The pages are nice and thick and the stickers not at all flimsy. The pages with the stickers on have a perforated edge so you can easily pull out the part you need, which is clearly labelled with the page that it corresponds to.
It’s had us chatting about the war, and what it would have been like back then. I’ve always loved history, and I’m really hoping to spark a similar interest in Boo. I think books like this, keeping it interactive and fun, whilst being informative, are brilliant at doing this. This book gets a thumbs up here, and we’ll no doubt continue to look out for new titles and add them to our shelves.
Wartime Fashion will be available to buy next month.
I also have one copy of this to give-away to one of my lucky readers, too – hooray! So to be in with a chance of winning it, enter using the rafflecopter below. Giveaway closes at midnight 11th March 2015 and is open to UK residents only. Good luck!
Which period of history most interests you?
Disclosure: We received a copy FOC for the purposes of this review, though all words and opinions remain my own.